søndag den 3. maj 2009

I see you

Last week my little group of storytellers from 'Vordingborg fortællerkreds' and I went to a day care center for elderly people who've become too weak to live by themselves. We did it for free to help a friend whose brother is at the home, handicapped with Parkinson's desease.

An old lady was sitting in her wheelchair as left by the staff facing a table but with her back to the storytellers. So we turned her around so she could see us. After the coffe break, however, she was again sitting with her back to us. I turned her chair again, she raised her hand and with the tiniest voice she whispered 'Thank you'.
I looked into her light blue eyes and saw an ocean of gratefullness and life.
While I was telling my story she kept staring at me and I enjoyed watching her laugh a quiet laughter.

Afterwards I went to say goodbye to her and asked her name. She told me. And then she whispered again. *I didn't mean to stare at you, but the spark in your eyes when you were telling just dragged me into the story. And I enjoyed your radiation. You saw me, and I'm so thankful that I got to meet you today!"

I didn't do anything special, I just saw her.
And now I can't stop thinking about what her story is. She gave me a wonderful gift that night, and I know that all I have to do is be myself, and see.

1 kommentar:

Zabetha sagde ...

Good for you for seeing. An important message to us all, about the need to be seen and the importance of realling seeing folks, especially those who tend to be invisible in our societies.