fredag den 6. marts 2009

Any story can be healing

Yesterday I was invited to a goup of interested listeneres in Næstved, only 30 kms from Vordingborg.
I've been there two times a year for 2 years, so this was the 3rd time. This year I had been invited to tell about life at the island Lolland, where I grew up and to tell about my own life.

There were lots of new faces, so I was a bit exited about how they would recieve my stories.

Very quickly there was a really good sensation in the room. At first many had seated themselves in the back of the room, behind the rows of chairs that had been put up.I asked them all to come forward, since I really don't like to tell to empty chairs.
Luckily they wanted to move.

It has become quite obvious to me, that in order to tell my life story, I must tell about the ones who were there before me. My ancestors who made it possible for me to be born on the farm where my family lived forever, it seems.

And since the audience was older than me, they listened with great interest.
I told stories about ordinary people, like me, in everyday situations. And they really enjyoed hearing about it.
i also told them aobut the work that is being done around the world with 'healingstory'. I told them how I use stories for healing myself now, when my husband is so ill.

Afterwards a woman at 72 came to me with tears in her eyes and down her cheeks.
- "Your storytelling was very healing in itself for me today. It was when you told about that woman who waited for her beloved for 40 years, finally married him and then lost him again. My husband died last year, and I don't know what it was in the story, but it sure healed me."

The point here is 'We never know what it is in the stories that heals a person. But it works.'

Do I need to say I was proud and happy, when I left the room.

Ingen kommentarer: