onsdag den 27. august 2008

Struggling against the wind

Some few years ago, when I had just started rowing kayak, I went out for a short trip one nice, sunny afternoon. But before going out on the water, I put my finger up in the air to meassure the wind, and it seemed ok for me.
I rowed east along the beautiful coast of South Sealand, and I really enjoyed having the wind in my back. The waves seemed wonderful and they carried me along, so it felt quite easy.
When I got to my destination and should turn and row back, it felt as if the wind was blowing a bit stronger. I looked at the waves and yes, they were bigger, and the wind was getting stronger.
Being outside in strong wind doesn't normally bother me, but here the waves were affected by the wind, and they were quite lively.
My kayak started to live it's own life more and less, and I decided to hurry back before the wind got even stronger.
I rowed and rowed with all my (very little) strength, and I seemed to move slower than ever. I was getting tired, but my mind was strong. I realised, that I was actually a little afraid that the kayak would tilt, so I would fall into the water.
So I tried to find a nice rhytm, I sang a song where the rhytm fit perfectly for the tempo I wanted to achieve. It went quite well, but I could feel I was getting angry at the wind, and I decided to fight it.
I bit my teeth tightly together and rowed harder.
I still had the feeling of moving slowly although I was using all my strength, and I kept looking at the boat house in the distance that I was heading for.
I had to take a tiny little rest to breathe normally, and when I did that I noticed the water. I saw the plants at the bottom, and I saw that the water level was only about half a meter.
Then I started laughing. 'Am I really afraid of falling into water that is only half a meter deep?'
'Who am I to think, I can fight the wind!'
I might as well take it easy.
I took a deep breath and with this new, calm sensation in my whole body I rowed the rest of the way, still singing, but a whole lot more relaxed. I let the kayak follow the rhytm of the waves, and I'm sure it did'nt take any longer to get to the boat house that way. But it was much more fun and I felt a little more connected to the Universe.

What did I learn?
A lot but most important for me:
Even though I'm rowing against the wind I can still relax and enjoy the trip.

1 kommentar:

Maria Bergbäck sagde ...

This story reminded me of a song a recently heared in Swedish "Even if the world would fall apart tomorrow, I still be planting my apple tree today". Why did that text struck my mind? Maybe it has to do with keep going on and letting go of fear.